Sunday, August 7, 2011

How to make it last


On August 16, 2011; my husband and I will be celebrating our 9 years of togetherness. We became boyfriend and girlfriend August 16, 2002 and got married 5 ½ years after. Our relationship is not perfect; same with other couples, we also have our ups and downs. We also have misunderstandings. There was a time in our relationship where we thought of giving up. 6 years ago, I almost gave up. But I’m happy I didn’t because if I did, I wouldn’t have a wonderful daughter right now.

Until now, I still can’t believe that we’re able to hold on to each other for 9 long years. Sometimes I ask myself and my husband how did we make it and what can we do to make it last.

As a couple, we do simple things and these simple things make our relationship works like:

1. We always eat together. And when I cook, I never forget to add the best ingredient which is LOVE. Remember, the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

2. If we have misunderstandings, we make sure we settle things before we sleep. We don’t want things to be carried over the next day. We deal with the problem as soon as it emerges.

3. We reminisce. It’s nice to talk about old times; it brings back memories and old feelings.

4. We never fail to say I love you to each other; we always remind each other of our love for one another and that we'll always have each other.

5. We protect each other. Nobody messes with my man and vice versa.

6. We appreciate each other. We never fail to say thank you.

7. We accept each other’s criticism and complaints. If one of us disagrees, we explain the reason why.

8. We always respect each other. Though we’re couple, we are still individuals.

9. At the end of the day, we always remind each other that we’re not just lovers, we’re also friends. The love, the passion will eventually fade but what will be left behind is the friendship.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always and preserves."

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment