Saturday, March 21, 2009

Myofascial Pain Syndrome

March 13, 2009, I was brought to the hospital (Las Piñas City Medical Clinic) because of severe muscle pain in my jaw and neck; and shortness of breath. Diagnosis was Myofascial Pain Syndrome.

What is MPS?

It is a term used to describe one of the conditions characterized by chronic pain. It is more often described as occurring in a more limited area of the body, for example, only around the shoulder and neck, and on only one side of the body. The precise cause of MPS is not fully understood and is undergoing research in several medical fields.

I’ve found out that I have MPS (Myofascial Pain Syndrome) in the year 2006. I felt severe muscle pain in my upper back, shoulders and face. The muscles were heavy and I really can’t bear the pain. X-ray was done and when found out that the muscles in my neck are thickening, I was advised to have therapy sessions and take muscle relaxant (Myonal) to ease the pain. I had 18 sessions of physical therapy (PT) as a treatment for the said illness.

But since I am pregnant, PT and intake of Myonal aren’t allowed. So when I was in the hospital, I was just advised to take Paracetamol to ease the muscle pain and had oxygen to help me out with breathing. Then after couple of hours, pain was gone and my breathing was back to normal.

So for those people, who are experiencing muscle pain in the upper part of your body, visit a General Medicine Doctor so you could be referred to the Rehabilitation Medicine Doctor for consultation and treatment. Referral is needed so don’t go directly to a Rehab Med Doctor.

1 comment:

  1. "It can be used as an adjunct therapy or on its own in chronic cases. myofascial pain treatment near me The needles are inserted into the painful muscle or muscle group through the skin using a rapid thrusting motion. The needles are then moved around in a circular pattern to break up adhesions and release the trigger points. Myofascial needling can be done by either a physician or therapist, but it is usually done by someone with specialized training in this technique such

    chiropractic massage near me

    Myofascial needling is a technique that involves the insertion of needles into the myofascial to relieve pain and create relaxation."

    ReplyDelete